Applications for PhDs are now open
The Envision Doctoral Training Programme (DTP) brings together a group of UK researchers with industry and non-governmental organisation (NGO) partners to train a new generation of environmental scientists in the skills, knowledge and experience essential for solving the challenges of a changing world. Funded by the Natural Environment Research Council (NERC), Lancaster University leads this initiative in collaboration with the Universities of Nottingham and Bangor, the UK Centre for Ecology and Hydrology, the British Geological Survey and Rothamsted Research. Envision also partners with large multinationals, small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) and international research centres.
We recruit 16 students per year to our DTP and would love to invite you to join us. As a doctoral student in Envision you will be provided with a multidisciplinary research training environment with supervisors working at the forefront of environmental research. You will have the opportunity to work with multiple research organisations, businesses and a wide cohort of peers which offers the potential for new science and collaborations.
How to apply
Envision projects will commence in October 2021. The deadline for applications is 13th January 2021.
We offer fully funded 3.5-year studentships.
- A tax-free stipend is paid at the standard UKRI rate; £15,285 in 2020/21.
- All university fees are paid (subject to eligibility criteria outlined below).
- A Research and Training Grant of £8,750 is provided to fund research, conference attendance and networking. Opportunities to bid for additional funding are available.
- All Envision projects can be undertaken on either a Full Time or Part Time (minimum of 0.5 FTE) basis.
Fully-funded studentships are available for Home students. To be classed as a Home student, candidates must meet the following criteria:
- be a UK National (meeting residency requirements), or
- have settled status, or
- have pre-settled status (meeting residency requirement) or,
- have indefinite leave to remain or enter
If you do not meet the above criteria, you will be classed as an international student.
A very limited number of funded studentships are available for international applicants, and these may only be available through some of our partners.
- International students are eligible to apply for funded studentships when the project is registered at Bangor University.
- International students are NOT eligible to apply for funded studentships when the project is registered at Lancaster University or the University of Nottingham.
You must have or expect to have, a First or Upper Second Class UK Honours degree or the equivalent qualification gained outside the UK, in a relevant subject to the project you are applying for. These subjects will be specified in the individual project descriptions.
Training and development
Envision provides training that will support you in developing your research skills. These skills, honed alongside the experience gained working with the UK’s leading scientists and our partner businesses, will benefit your future career. Envision’s training provision includes workshops, online courses and cross institutional building activities. In addition, you will be guaranteed a placement opportunity to gain employment experience.
If you have any queries please get in touch with Nikki Flook.
- Salary £0 - £20000
- Twitter Handle £@ENVISIONDTP - £