The Cellular Genetics Programme is seeking an experienced and highly motivated individual to lead the Cellular Genetics Informatics team. The team provides comprehensive support to our Faculty research teams, including but not limited to; creating bioinformatics analysis pipelines and software, performing bioinformatics analysis on datasets in collaboration with Faculty teams and contributing to publications accordingly, leading Programme engagement with core IT teams, supporting sample tracking software, and managing data generated by the research teams.
In addition to delivering an informatics support structure for the Programme, you will also be responsible for key IT interactions across the Institute including contributing to the development of core strategies and policies, and horizon scanning for new IT and informatics solutions.
This is a unique opportunity to join a world-leading research Institute on a permanent contract, allowing you to contribute to the overall delivery of the Cellular Genetics Programme via your technical expertise, team management skills, and strategic thinking.
About the Team:
The Cellular Genetics Operations team is a multidisciplinary team in place to support the research of the Programme. It is comprised of; Research Administration, Informatics, Project Management, Scientific Communication, and Wet Lab Support.
The CellGen Informatics team provides support to the Programme, as well as acting as a key interface with the central Sanger Institute IT teams. The team is currently comprised of seven members split into two primary areas; software development, and informatics.
About the Programme:
The Cellular Genetics Programme uses single-cell approaches, so called “cell atlas” technologies to combined with human genetics at the cellular level. To perform this research, we make use of state-of-the-art technological advances, including multi-modal single cell genomics (e.g., transcriptomics, chromatin accessibility, and protein expression) and spatial genomics (e.g. 10x Genomics Visium, FISH, in situ sequencing) technologies. The Programme are significant contributors to the Human Cell Atlas and the Human Developmental Cell Atlas; international projects to systematically map all cells in the body across the lifespan. For more information about the HCA project click here.
You will have a background in bioinformatics and will be looking for an opportunity to apply your experience and knowledge in the single cell field. With a passion for developing and supporting people, you will have line management experience and enjoy taking on a leadership position. You will have successfully delivered bioinformatics analysis pipelines and have an understanding of software development, and are able to creatively problem solve in these areas.
You will have proven experience in delivering collaborative projects and/or support functions, and will have strong communication skills that enable you to translate user demands into an effective service.
- PHD or equivalent experience in a related field e.g. e.g. Computational Biology, Genetics, Bioinformatics, Physics, Engineering or Applied Statistics/Mathematics.
- Line management
- Proven understanding and experience in the fields of genomics, data processing and high-throughput data analysis that can be transferable to single cell genomics
- Experience in delivering robust pipelines for large-scale genetics/genomics research
- Knowledge of software engineering approaches (e.g. object oriented design, memory management, algorithm implementation) and practices (e.g. version control, agile development, extreme programming).
- Extensive experience programming in a number of languages
- Excellent communication skills to allow efficient interactions with team members and collaborators
- Ability to build collaborative working relationships with internal and external stakeholders at all levels
- A flexible and service-oriented attitude
- Proven ability to deliver good quality solutions within fixed timelines
Please apply with your CV and a cover letter outlining your
– motivations for applying for this role
– suitability for this role addressing the criteria set out above and in the job description.
- Experience Level £manager - £