Do you have expertise in, and passion for, Computational Chemistry and drug discovery? Would you like to apply your expertise to impact Tumour targeted drug design and the design of drug payload molecules and warheads for novel antibody drug conjugates (ADCs) in a company that follows the science and turns ideas into life changing medicines? Then AstraZeneca might be the one for you!
AstraZeneca is a global, science-led, patient-focused biopharmaceutical company that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialisation of prescription medicines for some of the world’s most serious diseases. But we’re more than one of the world’s leading pharmaceutical companies.
Here you’ll have the opportunity to make a meaningful difference to patients’ lives. With science at its heart, this is the place where breakthroughs born in the lab become transformative medicines – for the world’s most complex diseases. Answer unmet medical needs by pioneering the next wave of science, focusing on outcomes and shaping the patient ecosystem. With our ground-breaking pipeline, the outlook is bright. Be proud to be part of a place that has achieved so much, yet is still moving forward. There’s no better time to join our global, growing enterprise as we lead the way for healthcare and society.
This position is based in Cambridge and will involve some travel to AstraZeneca sites in Cambridge and London.
Cambridge Science Park is one of over 400 sites here at AstraZeneca, providing a collaborative environment where everyone feels comfortable and able to be themselves is at the core of AstraZeneca’s priorities, it’s important to us that you bring your full self to work every day. To help you maintain your best self, here’s a sneak peek into some of the things this site and park provides for you… After-work events, Lunch & Learns, Bright and spacious environment, Sustainable office working environment, Onsite Childcare, Networking events, Park site Hair & Beauty Salon, Gym and Restaurants.
Be part of fulfilling our ambition to be world leaders in Oncology. We are already the fastest growing team within AstraZeneca and across the industry, and there are countless new indications and targets in our game-changing pipeline. We deliver this value through launch excellence, commercial effectiveness and maximising the lifecycle. By leveraging our commercialised portfolio we are confident we can change the practice of medicine and redefine cancer treatment.
What you’ll do
To succeed in this vision, AstraZeneca are seeking a computational chemist for our Tumour targeted drug design and delivery chemistry group. As the computational chemist in this group, you will be an integral part of the medicinal chemistry teams working on the design of drug payload molecules and warheads for novel antibody drug conjugates (ADCs). Reporting into the chemistry group leader of the Tumour targeted drug design and delivery chemistry group, you will work closely with an established group of computational chemists within Oncology at AstraZeneca to deliver AstraZeneca’s ADC drug pipeline.
- You will set and deliver appropriate computational chemistry strategies for the design of drug payload molecules and warheads for antibody drug conjugates.
- You will carry out structure- and ligand-based design and data analysis
- You will work closely with scientists from other disciplines at AstraZeneca, including structural biology, biophysics, ADME/DMPK and safety sciences as part of the wider drug discovery project teams.
- You will present your work regularly to peers and senior stakeholders.
- You will show interactive communication and scientific drive within the project teams, directly engaging with, advising and influencing other discipline representatives within the team to drive project delivery.
- You will help to create a vibrant and entrepreneurial environment focused on innovation & project delivery.
- You will identify new computational technologies that could benefit drug discovery, and investigate these through internal and external collaboration.
- You will publish and present your work at national and international conferences
- You will have the opportunity to supervise PhD students and postdocs through academic collaborations
Essential for the role
- Ph.D. degree in computational chemistry, computational biology or B.Sc./M.Sc with equivalent experience
- Experienced at working as a computational chemist on drug discovery projects within an pharmaceutical, biotech or academic drug discovery setting
- Expertise in structure-based drug design for proteins and DNA or RNA targets, ligand based design methods and physicochemicalproperty prediction
- Experience with antibody drug conjugate design would be desireable
- A passion for drug discovery and an excellent understanding of medicinal chemistry concepts
- Innovative problem-solver
- Strong oral and written communication skills, team-working and time-management skills
Where can I find out more?
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
If you have site, country or departmental social media then feel free to switch any of the above links.
Competitive salary package and benefits
Close Date:16th August 2021
- Salary £57000 - £80000