A key objective for the Data Science and Data Engineering (DSDE) team within GSK’s Pharmaceutical R&D organization is achieving the delivery of the right data to the right people at the right time. This requires the design and implementation of data flows and data products which leverage internal and external data assets and tools to drive discovery and development. The team is focused on strong data science and foundational coding skills in all roles to support the fast-paced delivery of data science products for accelerating discovery and development, application of standard machine learning methods, and solving challenging technical problems in multiple domains across R&D.
We’re looking for a highly skilled engineering leader to join us as a Director, Data Science Engineer. The director will lead and inspire a team of talented data scientists focused on delivering faster insights to the scientists that need them and deploying efficient innovative solutions. This is a hands-on position where you will be empowered and held accountable to be creative, ambitious, and bold.
As a Director, Data Science Engineer, we’d like you to be able to:
- Discover and develop opportunities with peers across DSDE to apply machine learning to design, build, test, and validate predictive models. As an expert, the director will not only be able to seek opportunities but also be able to write excellent code along with performing proper unit, functional, and integration tests for code to ensure quality.
- Demonstrate breadth across data science, have substantial depth and be a noted leader in one or more data science methodologies. The director will be the go-to resource within the organization for their area(s) of expertise.
- Be a standard-bearer for data science and machine learning to ensure best practice is developed in their teams. Manage individual and team performance using agile and distributed decision-making balancing pace, rigor, and risk.
- Provide guidance on the appropriateness of data for the intended task and also to explore and evaluate it themselves. The director will be experienced in designing models that perform to a particular specification and be able to evaluate the model (architectures, cost-functions, etc.) that will best suit the problem at hand.
- The director will have considerable experience shipping models and should be experienced in thinking in advance about how a model’s requirements or the available data might change over time and design an ML product that will be able to cope with those requirements.
- Compare results from various methodologies, recommend best techniques to stakeholders, and be able to defend robustly in meetings with senior leaders.
- Given a vaguely defined business objective and drive it to a high-performing product with little direction. The Director will assume leadership of some, or all, of a product ship.
- Mentor junior data scientists on the team, lead and inspire and be a key part of their development and retention.
- Connect and collaborate with subject matter experts in biology, chemistry, and medicine and offer, challenge, and solicit advice via peer review to enhance quality, share best practices and embed innovation.
Competitive candidates will have a proven track record of hands-on leadership of high-performing data science teams, and shipping data science products and microservices into production. They will have experience of model and data lifecycle and anticipate the need for understanding model and data drift. The director will be a leader in one or more data science areas and be the go-to leader within the organization.
The DSDE team is built on the principles of ownership, accountability, continuous development, and collaboration. We hire for the long term, and we’re motivated to make this a great place to work. Our leaders will be committed to your career and development from day one.
As a data science engineer, you will be working in a stimulating and supportive environment as part of a dynamic, growing community. You will have access to our Learning & Development resources, comprising a blend of on-the-job learning with targeted coaching, peer-to-peer mentoring, expert-led workshops and a network of learning providers
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- MS Degree (Mathematics or Engineering, Data Science / AI/ML, Computer Science, Physics, Computational Biology, Computational Chemistry or related quantitative field), with extensive experience (or PhD with industrial experience)
- Experience in the biotech/pharmaceutical/healthcare/diagnostics/health insurance space
- Experience in designing, developing, and implementing analytical solutions using a variety of commercial and open-source tools (deep experience using common tools like Python and/or R is essential)
- Experience in comparing results from various methodologies then explaining the technical concepts at all levels in the organization, including senior managers/stakeholders
- Experience creating algorithms to extract information from large, multiparametric data sets and deploying them into production to realize significant value
- Experience shipping products and considerable experience accounting for model or data drifts to ensure models continue to deliver value.
- Experience in manipulating data in a big data environment – experience in hive, SQL, and similar technologies
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Leadership experience in the planning and direction of a project and effectively prioritizing goals
- Ability to lead discussions at peer review and using quantitative skills to positively influence decision-making.
- Experience developing and embedding predictive models accounting for model or data drifts to ensure continuous deployment, and implementation.
- Demonstrate expertise and experience in delivering solutions to production via Continuous Integration/Continuous Delivery.
- Current with all major DSDE literature, and all literature within their domain and be aware of trends in the DS or computational biology open-source community and constantly evaluating new tools for utility.
Our values and expectations are at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Agile and distributed decision-making – using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk
- Managing individual and team performance.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Implementing change initiatives and leading change.
- Sustaining energy and well-being, building resilience in teams.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning both internally and externally.
- Developing people and building a talent pipeline.
- Translating strategy into action – a compelling narrative, motivating others, setting objectives and delegation.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, managing trusted stakeholder relationships internally and externally.
- Budgeting and forecasting, commercial and financial acumen.
Benefits: Competitive salary and benefits to include private pension, private healthcare, bonus and shares.
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
To Apply, please visit the link below. If you require assistance or further information email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Salary £competitive - £
- Experience Level £senior - £
- Twitter Handle £https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?text=Director,%20Data%20Science%20Engineer%20in%20Multiple%20Locations%20%7C%20GSK%20Careers&url=https%3A%2F%2Fjobs.gsk.com%2Fjobs%2F298514%3Flang%3Den - £us%23.YVSCEkbfHjE.twitter&related=