Jangala is a charity whose innovative technologies empower communities globally with essential internet access, enabling medical care, learning and community resilience. To date we have connected over 30,000 marginalised people across four continents.
We are looking for a developer with full-stack web experience and more to join our small team with huge ambitions. The successful candidate will help design and develop the systems that will enable us to deploy thousands of our Big Box and Get Box internet access systems connecting millions of people in the years to come. Importantly, they will help shape Jangala as it works to achieve its goal of becoming a world leader in humanitarian technology.
Details of the role
The full stack developer will be Jangala’s first dedicated web technology hire. They will work closely with the CTO/MD and contribute to the culture of innovation within Jangala and its technology team as it grows to meet greater challenges in the years ahead.
Specific tasks will include:
- Developing web based front-ends to allow for the visualisation of telemetry data and the control of systems in the field
- Refining a range of backends spanning AWS instances ingesting MQTT telemetry platform into InfluxDB to servers running on embedded Linux
- Digging deeper and helping design elegant and responsive APIs for Jangala’s current and future products
The person we’re looking for
We’re looking for someone inspired by Jangala’s mission and with a desire to innovate to help some of the world’s most vulnerable people.
The following technical skills and experience are required:
- Demonstrable experience of collaboration on complex projects
The following technical skills and experience would be desirable:
- Progressive Web Apps and Single Page Applications
- MQTT or other IoT Messaging
- More broadly the ideal candidate will display curiosity, rigour and the ability to work effectively in small teams.
Jangala is headquartered in London and operates a remote-first working policy. In future, it may be the case that travel to London will be required for brainstorming and collaborative work, however this will be the exception and not the norm. For this position, we welcome applications from anywhere within the time zones of UTC−3:00 to UTC+3:00.
We are committed to creating an environment that attracts, motivates, and supports the best people from all backgrounds. So far, this work includes:
- Flexible remote-first working
- An emphasis on talent and motivation, rather than academic qualifications or CV specifics
- The chance for all members of staff to contribute to the direction of Jangala and for any future commercial activities to have a component of employee-ownership
We welcome applications from people of all gender identities, ages, sexual orientations, nationalities, religions, and beliefs. We particularly encourage applications from groups traditionally underrepresented in the technology industry.
For the two month probationary period this position will be for 3 days a week, after this we will look to make this a full time position. The starting salary for this role will be £30,000 per annum pro-rated (this may be greater dependent on experience). Jangala provides 29 days of paid leave a year.
How to apply
If you feel inspired by our work and this position we’d love to hear from you! To apply, please send a CV and cover letter (no more than 2 pages) explaining why you’re a good fit to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: ‘Full Stack Developer application/Your name.’
- Salary £30000 - £40000
- Experience Level £junior - £