Cambridge, UK; Gaithersburg, US; Gothenburg, Sweden
Bold Disruptors. Push the boundaries of science. Fearlessly break new ground
Work at the cutting-edge, where scientific innovations and an entrepreneurial spirit are the norm.
And in return… we’re looking for individuals with curious minds, who are comfortable taking smart risks and learning from failures.
What we do
We are a global, science-led BioPharmaceutical business and our innovative medicines are used by millions of patients worldwide.
Why we love it
With our ground-breaking pipeline comes a bright future – a secure job, exciting opportunities and varied work. We’re on an exciting journey to pioneer the future of healthcare!
As the executive director, Head of Regulatory Toxicology and Safety Pharmacology in the Safety Sciences department of Clinical Pharmacology and Safety Sciences (CPSS) you will be accountable for the delivery of general toxicology studies, reproductive toxicology and safety pharmacology studies and expertise supporting all projects in Biopharmaceuticals and Oncology R&D. The role is also accountable for overseeing the provision of expert toxicology assessment on impurities and contaminants critical to support pharmaceutical development. In this role you will play a key part in bringing innovative medicines to patients based on a deep understanding of the non-clinical safety requirements to support drug discovery, development and registration.
What you’ll do
Leadership & Execution
- Lead a global multi-disciplinary department consisting of reproductive toxicology, safety pharmacology, secondary pharmacology, study monitoring, nonclinical submissions and documentation, impurity/contamination risk assessment.
- Inspire excellence in project delivery, subject area leadership and novel safety science across relevant platform areas. The Regulatory Toxicology and Safety Pharmacology lead will manage budget, resources and talent development within the department.
- As a member of the global Safety Sciences leadership team, the role holder will contribute to both operational and strategic aspects of Safety Science.
- Ensure excellence in the development and application of reproductive toxicology and safety pharmacology capabilities for hypothesis testing, mechanistic understanding and safety risk assessment that will impact discovery and development projects and maintain AZ position with regards to submission excellence and low safety-related attrition.
- Identify internal and external industry trends, and anticipate future changes that impact scientific understanding and regulatory strategies. Advance AstraZeneca’s regulatory toxicology and safety pharmacology through balancing unique, groundbreaking capabilities, data visualisations, and application of data science and AI.
- Support and consult with the Head of Safety Sciences in scientific and managerial responsibilities.
- Take accountability and drive success beyond Regulatory Toxicology & Safety Pharmacology, influencing other CPSS and AZ functional partners to drive alignment with, and support for, non-clinical toxicology strategies.
- Promote inclusion and diversity agendas to build successful teams within and across departments, supporting talent development and create a great place work.
- Play a key role in cross industry networks, and collaborations with significant pre-competitive cross industry associations.
This individual will report to the VP, Safety Sciences and will have significant drug discovery and development, toxicology and/or pharmacology expertise with a strong record of ensuring non-clinical safety study delivery and regulatory submission.
Essential qualifications and experience:
- In depth, ~10-15 years of experience in drug discovery and development safety science from the pharmaceutical industry or biotech sector.
- Significant leadership experience in industry leading e.g. Pathology, Toxicology, Pharmacology organisations
- Strong leadership skills and line management experience with a positive team engaging attitude and a track record in the leadership, management and talent development of individuals and teams
- In depth understanding of general toxicology, safety pharmacology, secondary pharmacology and reproductive toxicology.
- Experience of leading cross functional collaborations and external partnerships
- A strong publication track record
- Comfort with financial and scientific/technical information
- An understanding of AstraZeneca, its strategy, business, products and Research and Development pipeline
At AstraZeneca, we’re dedicated to being a Great Place to Work. Where you are empowered to push the boundaries of science and unleash your entrepreneurial spirit. There’s no better place to make a difference to medicine, patients and society. An inclusive culture that champions diversity and collaboration. Always committed to lifelong learning, growth and development.
So, what’s next?
Are you already imagining yourself joining us? Good, because we can’t wait to hear from you!
Advertising opens on 15th November 2021 and we welcome with your application; CV and cover letter, no later than 29th November 2021
For more information please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Our Company Values & Behaviors underpin everything we do so please take a moment to familiarize yourself with them. You may also want to check out our new R&D Video showing how we turn Science into Medicines. Covid-19 Resources
More information about our sites:
- Cambridge, UK
- Gothenburg, Sweden
- Gaithersburg, US
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.