Gothenburg, Sweden; Cambridge, UK; Gaithersburg, US
Make a more meaningful impact to patients’ lives around the globe
With our ground-breaking pipeline, the outlook is bright. Be proud to be part of a place that has achieved so much, yet is still moving forward. There’s no better time to join our global, growing enterprise as we lead the way for healthcare and society.
What we do
Ultimately, our aim is to work towards a cure for some of the world’s most complex diseases. Whether that’s by shaping the patient ecosystem and focusing on outcomes, or by progressing potential medicines and accelerating their launch.
How we do it
Committed to living our values – they guide our behaviours, actions and decisions, every day!
As the global head, executive director Cardiovascular, Renal & Metabolism (CVRM) Safety in the Safety Sciences department of Clinical Pharmacology and Safety Sciences (CPSS) you will be responsible and accountable for all aspects of CVRM portfolio safety from target selection through clinical development, submission, launch and life-cycle management. Playing a key part in bringing innovative life-changing medicines to patients based on a deep understanding the non-clinical safety requirements to drug discovery, development and registration.
What you’ll do
Strategy & Leadership
- Inspire scientific leadership and set a leading strategy for CVRM Safety – specifically ensuring the “right safety” of medicines to transform heart failure, diabetes, NASH and chronic kidney disease.
- Will deliver the “Right Safety” profile for CVRM portfolio from target/concept validation to candidate delivery and provide insight and judgement to enable the successful delivery of innovative, life changing medicines
- Accountable for all non-clinical safety aspects across the CVRM portfolio supporting all phases of clinical development including all marketing submissions and support of Life Cycle Management (LCM)
- Manage individual performance as well as a significant budget and resources
- Continuously develop novel safety science in the predictive safety/toxicology and drug discovery arena and as such contribute to the internal global innovative safety strategy as well as shaping the safety and toxicology science field externally.
- Identify internal and external industry trends, and anticipate future changes that impact the success of non-clinical safety support to the CVRM portfolio.
- Advance AstraZeneca’s safety science through balancing unique, groundbreaking capabilities, application of data science and AI.
- Support and collaborate with the Head of Safety Sciences in scientific and managerial responsibilities
- Take accountability and drive success beyond CVRM Safety Pharmacology, influencing other CPSS and AZ functional partners to drive alignment with and support for non-clinical safety strategies.
- engage with internal and external partners, academic groups, regulators and external experts, this individual will identify internal and external industry trends and anticipate future changes that impact on CVRM safety science/business support promoting courageous leadership, innovation and collaboration.
- Promote inclusion and diversity agendas to build successful teams within and across departments, supporting talent development and create a great place work.
This individual will report to the VP, Safety Sciences and be a member of the global Safety Sciences leadership team, contributing to strategic, scientific and operational aspects of Safety Science. In addition, they will be a member of the CVRM Research Board influencing project governance and the disease area strategy.
Essential qualifications and experience:
- PhD (Toxicology, Pharmacology, Biology, Pathology), DVM or MD with ~10-15 years of experience
- Strong leadership skills and line management experience with a positive team engaging attitude and a track record in the leadership, management and talent development of individuals and teams
- Track record of leading impact on drug R&D within pharmaceutical industry with a strong focus on safety assessment
- Experience of research and project impact relevant to small molecule, large molecule and biologic therapeutics.
- Leader of collaborations with academia, biotech and/ or pharma industry.
- Demonstrated project safety impact from target selection through clinical development
- Track record of scientific innovation: leading cutting-edge, and new to the industry science
- Leadership experience in non-clinical safety vs drug discovery and development from the pharmaceutical industry or biotech sector.
- Experience of research and project impact relevant to CVRM
- A strong track record of publishing in high impact journals
- Comfort with financial and scientific/technical information
- An excellent understanding of AstraZeneca, its strategy, business, products and Research and Development pipeline
At AstraZeneca, we’re dedicated to being a Great Place to Work. Where you are empowered to push the boundaries of science and unleash your entrepreneurial spirit. There’s no better place to make a difference to medicine, patients and society. An inclusive culture that champions diversity and collaboration. Always committed to lifelong learning, growth and development.
So, what’s next?
Are you already imagining yourself joining us? Good, because we can’t wait to hear from you!
Advertising opens on 15th November 2021 and we welcome with your application; CV and cover letter, no later than 29th November 2021
For more information please contact: email@example.com
Our Company Values & Behaviors underpin everything we do so please take a moment to familiarize yourself with them. You may also want to check out our new R&D Video showing how we turn Science into Medicines. Covid-19 Resources
More information about our sites:
- Cambridge, UK
- Gothenburg, Sweden
- Gaithersburg, US
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.