We are seeking an exceptional candidate to join our Global Oncology Chemistry department to drive the discovery of first in class therapeutic candidates for difficult to drug targets.
Do you have expertise in, and a passion for Chemistry? would you like to be a part of a team that is driving the discovery of first in class therapeutic candidates for difficult to drug targets; to impact an exciting Chemistry strategy focusing on developing targetd protein degradation modalities in a company that follows the science and turns ideas into life changing medicines? Then AstraZeneca might be the one for you! This position offers a tremendous opportunity to be an integral part of a multidisciplinary team at the forefront of drug discovery research.
This role will be located on the Cambridge Biomedical Campus, this site combines world-class biomedical research, patient care and education on a single site location in the heart of Cambridge. The office will be within walking distance of the new purpose-built building that will bring together the company’s research and development activity in a state-of-the-art strategic R&D centre and global corporate headquarters. The building has been designed with the open architecture reflecting AstraZeneca’s collaborative approach to research.
What you’ll do
We are seeking an exceptional candidate to join our Global Oncology Chemistry department to drive the discovery of first in class therapeutic candidates for difficult to drug targets. You will be involved in the execution of our chemistry strategy, focusing on developing novel modalities such as molecular glues and other approaches aligned to targeted protein degradation. You will be also be responsible for conceiving and implementing innovative medicinal chemistry design strategies, working on projects from hit generation through to candidate selection, solving complex chemistry problems to deliver the next generation of Oncology medicines. This position will report to the Head of New Modalities, Global Oncology Chemistry.
- You will be part of the global department leadership team and will provide direct line leadership for a group of synthetic and medicinal chemists.
- Leading and managing all aspects of delivery from individuals within their line including efforts aligned to supporting synthesis and medicinal chemistry strategy, portfolio delivery, executing on agreed departmental objectives, developing new capabilities and monitoring overall quality of group output.
- Ensuring that internal and external resources are aligned flexibly to the targeted protein degradation platform priorities and that appropriate internal and external capabilities and skills are efficiently deployed to optimally prosecute projects
- Talent development within their team and across the global function through implementing individual development plans, effective coaching and mentoring, identifying specific training needs and supporting secondment opportunities
- Responsible for ensuring the scientific reputation of the team and wider department is aligned with the objective of being a world leading medicinal chemistry department
- Contributing globally to ensure the strategic direction of the department, the development of new small molecule modalities capabilities and the quality of the department’s output are consistent with the department’s vision of being a world leading medicinal chemistry department
Essential for the role
- Excellent leadership skills with evidence of the potential to inspire chemistry teams within a highly dynamic research environment
- Record of success in delivering innovative chemical technologies and projects into pre-clinical development
- Robust record of drug discovery innovation, CB problem solving within drug discovery projects
- Shown ability to lead drug design by analyzing data and integrating medicinal chemistry principles with knowledge of computational and organic chemistry
- Extensive knowledge of contemporary library and linker design principles to deliver innovative hit ID capabilities
- Strong experience with contemporary synthetic chemistry.
- Work at the interface between medicinal chemistry, computational chemistry & biology to propose new target proposals & creative hit finding strategies that deliver chemical equity across a range of challenging target classes
- A detailed understanding of the chemical sciences and how they influence drug discovery and skills to represent chemistry in a cross-disciplinary project team.
- Experience of leading, motivating, and developing people, with the shown skills to impact positively delivery and team working behaviours
- Exemplify & develop an active network of external contacts, whilst improving external reputation through publications and conference presentations
- Project leadership skills and ability to drive drug discovery projects through key portfolio landmarks
- The role requires high level interactive and communication skills to set a clear direction for the team and department as well as influence and manage key stakeholders / support functions
- Ability to create an environment that promotes scientific advancement to enhance drug discovery efficiency and improve problem solving within the discipline
- Ability to influence, shape and support all aspects of matrix working by working collaboratively across all discovery departments within Oncology and across Therapeutic areas
- Ability to keep up to date with the latest developments in drug design and medicinal chemistry literature as well as maintain a strategic awareness of the competitive environment. Ability to analyze and understand consequences of external trends that might drive strategic changes across the industry
- Excellent communication skills and ability to interact with and influence key stakeholders
Desirable for the role
- Good knowledge of oncology drug discovery
- Good awareness of leading-edge hit finding approaches
- Evidence of influencing senior partners to support new project/technologies proposals
Competitive salary package and benefits
Close Date: 08/02/2022