Fully competent in own research area within Toxicology or Pathology. Initiate, direct and perform research experiments and implementing strategies. Will be able to work without direct supervision and be able to advise/train less experienced scientists. May have supervisory role but not line management
Molecular Imaging Scientist
Competitive Salary & Benefits
Diverse Minds. Bold Disruptors. Meaningful Impact.
AstraZeneca is a global BioPharmaceutical business that focuses on discovering, developing, and commercialising prescription medicines for some of the world’s most serious diseases. But we’re more than one of the world’s leading pharmaceutical companies.
Working here is about more than the science of saving lives. It’s about the people who work here. Continuous learning is good for the individual and good for the business too. Being a ‘Great Place to Work’ is central to our culture. If you can contribute in a fast-paced, lean and entrepreneurial environment, then you’ll quickly feel at home here.
Do you have expertise in tissue imaging and want to join our Integrated Imaging Team that directly impacts drug development?
Join us at AstraZeneca in Cambridge (UK) as our new Molecular Imaging Scientist and play a vital role in discovering new medicines for our patients.
What you’ll do
Our Clinical Pharmacology and Safety Sciences (CPSS) function is changing how imaging technologies are combined to offer unprecedented insight and impact. Our imaging hubs combine data from histology through advanced imaging assays to better understand spatial biology driving safety and efficacy in preclinical and clinical studies.
As a Molecular Imaging Scientist, you will deliver imaging data, employing molecular imaging technologies in an integrated strategy, combining with in vivo and ex vivo imaging endpoints and advanced AI image analysis to deliver on increased demand for more complex data and innovative insight. This is an excellent opportunity to be involved in providing the imaging components of both early investigative in vivo safety and efficacy studies and increasing imaging support for clinical trials.
- Work in partnership with project teams across AZ therapy areas to understand project issues, analyse and report the data you produce, with little or no guidance, clearly and concisely
- Lead the design of advanced molecular imaging endpoints, support safety and efficacy studies and provide advice on specific topics to the team
- Have a strong understanding of the practices, principles and concepts associated with a variety of study types using molecular imaging techniques and other technologies within the group
- Maintain knowledge internally and externally of new trends in molecular imaging technology experimental techniques/equipment and introduce methods and instrumentation as required and agreed with the Integrated Imaging Sciences Leadership Team
- Manage portfolio support to ensure delivery to agreed timelines and quality standards
- Provide disciplinary scientific leadership and mentorship for less experienced scientists. Manage scientists from student and Post Doc programmes
- Carry out research aligned to CPSS objectives with academic or cross-pharma pre-competitive groups and publish research papers and reviews in internationally recognised journals
- Support the department’s leadership team in both the strategic vision for the department and the efficient and progressive running of the department
- PhD in Chemistry, Biology, Physical Sciences, or related field with 2+ years of related imaging experience
- Expert knowledge in two of the following:
High-plex immunostaining techniques including IMC and mIF with experience in analysing highly multi-parametric data Spatial gene expression technologies such as NanoString DSP or Visium and corresponding data analysis Mass spectrometry-based metabolomics and lipidomics data acquisition and statistical analysis
- Good understanding of bioanalytical method development and the Implementation/validation of new technologies
- Knowledge of histomorphology of mammalian tissue/tissues
- Independent experimental design, critical data analysis (including statistics) and reporting; problem-solving skills related to molecular imaging data analysis
- Excellent communication and proven interpersonal skills that deliver successful working relationships and support for colleagues
- Strong leadership capabilities and a focus on timely delivery
- A can-do attitude with a desire to learn and develop is essential; the ability to thrive on complex problems and challenges
- Background and understanding of pharmaceutical discovery and development processes (from preclinical to clinical stages).
- Background in advanced image analysis, machine learning and bioinformatics
- Knowledge of handling clinical samples and or 3D cell cultures models
- Knowledge and experience in other imaging technologies, in-vivo (PET, MRI, CT)
- Good publication record
At AstraZeneca, we’re dedicated to being a Great Place to Work. Where you are empowered to push the boundaries of science and ignite your entrepreneurial spirit. There’s no better place to make a difference to medicine, patients and society. A culture that champions diversity and collaboration. Always committed to lifelong learning, growth and development.
So, what’s next?
Complete your application before the below closing date.
This role is open from 23/02/2022, we welcome your applications no later than 09/03/2022.
Where can I find out more?
Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en