Over the last 18 months, we’ve seen how critical the healthcare industry is to society. If you would love to be part of making a difference, then consider joining us and applying for our Senior Data Science Engineer opportunity.
You would be supporting new GSK’s purpose of uniting science, talent, and technology to get ahead of disease together. Our purpose is to develop tools, models, and processes to enable scientists to create preventative products such as vaccines or discover ways to treat illnesses such as therapeutics. We also support the equally important development of robust and efficient manufacturing of such products. Examples of specific areas of interest include delivering end-to-end biomarker data pipelines; delivering integrated data analytics environments to aid scientists in target identification or models that drive more efficient cell line development. We are a team with an ambition to be at the cutting edge of the pharmaceutical industry data science and engineering. So, as an R&D department with a passion for using data to solve problems and improve patient care, why wouldn’t you consider working for us?
Our organization is built on the principles of ownership, accountability, continuous development, and collaboration. Our leaders are committed to your career and development from day one. You will be working in a stimulating and supportive environment as part of a dynamic, growing community. You will have access to our Learning & Development resources, comprising a blend of on-the-job learning with targeted coaching, peer-to-peer mentoring, expert-led workshops, and a network of learning providers.
The Data Science and Visualisation team (DSV) is an experienced team of data scientists and software engineers that focuses on the creation and deployment of leading-edge, reusable data science microservices and products. This might be the creation of genetic and genomic data science products, changing the decision cycle time for our biopharmaceuticals, or accelerating assets in clinical trials through smart site selection and forecasting. The ease of use and interpretation in the hands of the scientist is very important to us, hence the emphasis upon not just the data science but the visualization.
The Sr. Data Science Engineer is a hands-on position where you will be empowered to be creative, ambitious and bold. You will translate a business need into a well-defined machine learning problem and execute on that solution alone or in a team. You will be able to actively identify opportunities to apply machine learning to build, test, and validate predictive models. The Sr. Data Science Engineer will be the standard-bearer for good coding practices and promote proper unit, functional, and integration tests for code to ensure quality.
As a Sr. Data Science Engineer, you will:
- Evaluate the appropriateness of the data for the intended task, designing models that perform to specification, and be able to evaluate the model (architectures, cost-functions, etc.) that will best suit the problem at hand.
- Compare results from various methodologies and recommend the best techniques to stakeholders
- Think in advance of a model’s future requirements or how the available data might change over time and design a product that will be able to cope with those requirements. Assume leadership of some, or all, of a product ship.
- Be the ‘go to’ leader in specific methodologies and mentor junior data scientists on the team and share ideas in an open collegiate way.
- Connect and collaborate with subject matter experts in biology, chemistry, and medicine and offer, challenge, and solicit advice via peer review to enhance quality, share best practices and embed innovation.
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- BS Degree (Mathematics or Engineering, Data Science/ML, Statistics, Computer Science, Physics, Computational Biology, Computational Chemistry.) with extensive of experience (or MS with industrial experience, or PhD with experience) in the biotech/pharmaceutical/ healthcare/diagnostics/health insurance space
- Experience designing, developing and implementing analytical solutions using a variety of commercial and open-source tools (deep experience using common tools like Python and/or R would be required).
- Experience comparing results from various methodologies then explaining the technical concepts at all levels in the organization, including senior managers/stakeholders.
- Experience creating algorithms to extract information from large, multiparametric data sets and deploy them into production to realize significant value.
- Experience in manipulating data in a big data environment – being able to use hive, SQL and the like would be an advantage. Ability to account for model or data drifts to ensure models continue to deliver value.
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Extensive experience in the development of interpretable machine learning to production using a programming language such as Python or R.
- Experience in delivering solutions to production via Continuous Integration/Continuous Delivery.
Our values and expectations are at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Operating at pace and agile decision-making – using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning.
- Sustaining energy and well-being
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, honest and open conversations.
- Budgeting and cost-consciousness
Benefits: Competitive salary and benefits to include private pension, private healthcare, bonus and shares.
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
To Apply, please visit the link below. If you require assistance or further information email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Salary £competitive - £
- Experience Level £manager - £
- Twitter Handle £https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?text=Sr.%20Data%20Science%20Engineer%20in%20Multiple%20Locations%20%7C%20GSK%20Careers&url=https%3A%2F%2Fjobs.gsk.com%2Fjobs%2F304712%3Flang%3Den - £us%23.YVSDsUOcD2o.twitter&related=