The mission of the Data Science and Data Engineering (DSDE) organization within GSK Pharmaceuticals R&D is to get the right data, to the right people, at the right time. The Data Engineering organization achieves this through the design and delivery of stable and scalable data pipelines instantiated as orchestrated microservices.
The Cloud and Data Flow Engineering teams, as parts of the broader DSDE team, design and develop orchestrated pipelines using new and existing microservices aimed at surfacing analytics-ready data. These pipelines and products provide automated end-to-end processing of data from instruments and disparate biology, chemistry, and clinical data sources to drive scale and automation throughout the drug discovery and development process.
We are seeking a highly skilled and experienced Staff Engineer, Cloud Data Engineering to help us make this vision a reality. They will mentor a team of talented data cloud engineers focused on knowledge and data products for drug discovery and development. They will drive scale and automation through the knowledge, understanding, and practical application of cloud-based data ingestion and processing end-to-end design patterns i.e. ‘workflows’ to address specific data-as-a-service challenges. This team will partner closely with the Data Flow, Data Framework, and Data Ops functions within the broader DSDE team.
This role will provide YOU the opportunity to lead key activities to progress YOUR career. These responsibilities include some of the following:
- Envision and architect scalable, highly available data engineering solutions that leverage microservices in a hybrid cloud. Working as a technical leader alongside product and program leaders, technology development, and infrastructure teams.
- Practice deep distributed software development knowledge with respect to cloud architecture, design patterns, and programming. The role requires resilience and the ability to design and drive strategies around microservices architecture adoption.
- Design cloud-based systems to meet scale and automation customer demands and draws the systems level connectivity.
- Work with our customers in architecting, developing, and re-engineering applications that can fully leverage the Cloud. Design novel architectures of game-changing data products at the forefront of data science and data engineering development and cloud technology adoption. Accountable for the delivery of the microservices and orchestrated data flows required to fulfill the vision for the data product.
- Own the successful collaboration across many internal teams and external partners to maximize impact and visibility at the most important drug discovery and clinical development activities in the company.
- Ensure quality through the definition/refinement of a fit-for-purpose QMS strategy and drive efficiency through the consistent use of CI/CD tools and processes.
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- MS in Computer Science, Software Engineering, biomedical engineering, engineering or bioinformatics/computational biology, with extensive experience (or a PhD with industrial experience) in the biotech/pharmaceutical/healthcare/diagnostics/health insurance space
- Experience designing and deploying computational workloads on Batch, Kubernetes, or similar workload managers. Experience managing and protecting large datasets on the cloud. Knowledge of cloud tools (CloudFront, FarGate, Lambda, or their equivalents).
- Experience in writing software within cloud-based microservices architecture distributed systems
- Experience developing software with at least one of the following: Java, Python, Scala, Node.js, C++, R
- Experience with common distributed data tools in a production setting (Spark, Kafka, etc)
- Experience leading in an Agile software development environment
- Experience with CI/CD tools
- Experience with automated testing tools (e.g. Junit, TestNG); CloudFormation, Terraform;
- Experience with configuration management platforms (e.g. Chef, Puppet, Salt, or Ansible).
- Experience developing software in AWS, Azure, or GCP
- Program/product development leadership, and strategy experience
- Experience developing project plans and delivering in a QMS framework
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Deep understanding and application of best data and software engineering practices in genomics, drug development, machine learning, and production deployment of data services
- Experience in building products with modern cloud architectures, platforms, and back-end systems
- Experience with engineering leadership for a product development team
Our values and expectations are at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture. These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Agile and distributed decision-making – using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk
- Managing individual and team performance.
- Committed to delivering high-quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Implementing change initiatives and leading change.
- Sustaining energy and well-being, building resilience in teams.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning both internally and externally.
- Developing people and building a talent pipeline.
- Translating strategy into action – a compelling narrative, motivating others, setting objectives and delegation.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, managing trusted stakeholder relationships internally and externally.
- Budgeting and forecasting, commercial and financial acumen.
Benefits: Competitive salary and benefits to include private pension, private healthcare, bonus etc.
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
To Apply, please visit the link below. If you require assistance or further information email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Salary £competitive - £
- Experience Level £manager - £
- Twitter Handle £https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?text=Staff%20Engineer,%20Cloud%20Data%20Engineering%20in%20Multiple%20Locations%20%7C%20GSK%20Careers&url=https%3A%2F%2Fjobs.gsk.com%2Fjobs%2F298512%3Flang%3Den - £us%23.YVSCu2L0KNg.twitter&related=