Job Type: Part-time (22.5 hours per week), Permanent
Astex Pharmaceuticals is a world leader in innovative drug discovery and development. The company has successfully applied its proprietary Fragment-Based Drug Discovery platform to generate multiple new drug candidates that are progressing in clinical development. Successful collaborations have led to two launched oncology drugs (Kisqali® partnered with Novartis and BalversaTM partnered with Janssen). Astex continues to grow and focuses on Oncology and Neurological Disorders.
Role and Responsibilities
Joining a small IP team working closely with colleagues within the Corporate Development Group and liaising with the scientists and collaborators to provide:
- Advice on patent filing strategy and patentability decisions to support multiple research and development projects.
- Work with outside counsel to support patent drafting and prosecution.
- Serve as a point of contact for partner companies on IP matters.
- Provide guidance and support on IP to Astex employees, including on freedom-to-operate (FTO) matters.
- Interact with business and R&D teams to communicate efficiently across teams, functions and global regions
- Assist in areas such as implementing and managing internal IP processes such as lab books, publication policy, research tool license review and Nagoya.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- Qualified patent attorney, ideally dual UK/European qualification.
- In-house, pharmaceutical or life science industry experience essential.
- Experience in patent portfolio development, licensing, IP related contracts, is desirable. Experience and/or interest in international IP law, such as US, would be useful.
- First degree in Chemistry, ideally a PhD.
- Accuracy and attention to detail.
- Team-oriented with good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Good organizational skills and time management.
- Commercial mindset and ability to interact with various stakeholders within and outside the company.
- Proactive, willing to take ownership for areas of responsibility, and comfortable working in a dynamic, and agile environment.
This is a part-time role, 22.5 hours per week, providing an excellent opportunity for someone to advance their career or return to work after a career break. We offer excellent career development opportunities as well as a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package.
To apply, please send your CV and a cover letter quoting the job reference: PA/0521 to email@example.com
At Astex we embrace diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse Company representing all backgrounds, harnessing industry-leading scientific innovation, and behaviours
For information on Astex Pharmaceuticals please visit: www.astx.com
and for information on Otsuka Pharmaceuticals please visit: www.otsuka.co.jp