Grantham Institute for Climate Change and the Environment, Faculty of Natural Sciences
Salary: £39,309 – £48,226 per annum
Location: South Kensington campus, London and Royal Institution
“The Greenhouse” is a highly successful climate-focused accelerator that supports early-stage startups focused on climate innovation.
It is part of a major new initiative (currently known as the Centre of Climate Change Innovation (CCCI)) which focuses, among other aims, on the development of a highly networked and well informed cleantech ecosystem in London that can stimulate and support the emergence of new innovative businesses
The Greenhouse offer world-class innovation support that includes team formulation, incubation, mentoring, entrepreneurial education, business coaching, funding and the integration of these value creation activities with the wider UK cleantech ecosystem. Ultimately The Greenhouse aims to take good ideas and exceptional teams with high impact potential to investable propositions, as evidenced by our track record (read more about The Greenhouse here – https://www.imperial.ac.uk/grantham/innovation/what-we-do/the-greenhouse/).
We are looking for someone who has the enthusiasm and drive to ensure the successful functioning of The Greenhouse. You will focus on the day-to-day operations of The Greenhouse and deliver the programme alongside The Greenhouse Lead, which includes fulfilling operational and administrative duties, as well as budget management and planning – both in close co-ordination with the CCCI Project Manager.
You will work closely with the Communications and Marketing Officer in publicising and raising awareness of the Greenhouse, as well as co-ordinating events at the Greenhouse. Additionally, you will support the Greenhouse Lead in running crucial Greenhouse activities, including mentoring, workshops, coaching sessions, bootcamps, education services, grant funding, incubation, programme scheduling and in-depth business strategy support services. You can expect to benefit from exposure to a wide range of exciting, innovative companies looking to tackle climate change.
Duties and responsibilities
- Partner with the Greenhouse Lead to deliver The Greenhouse, and take responsibility for the successful functioning of the programme
- Take the lead on overall logistics and scheduling for the running of The Greenhouse, including relationship and scheduling management with internal and external stakeholders
- Manage the daily functioning of the program, ensuring that all of the startups, coaches, mentors, and others are supported, and that The Greenhouse is running smoothly
- Support the Greenhouse Lead in recruiting a portfolio of up 30+ startups per annum
- Prepare, plan and execute the Bootcamp at the beginning of each cohort, and an investor Demo Day at the conclusion of each cohort
- Prepare, plan and execute high-profile flagship events with the external cleantech ecosystem alongside the Communications and Marketing Officer
- Work with the Project Manager to track relevant budgets and manage documentation that meets the requirements of our funding partners
- Identify gaps in our support network and work with colleagues to develop new partnerships
- Lead work on widening project participation (gender, ethnicity and disability)
- Bachelor degree level (or equivalent) in cleantech relevant science / social sciences
- Significant work experience in relevant fields: innovation, sustainability, climate change
- Successful experience of working in an early-stage Accelerator, Venture Portfolio or Corporate Venturing initiative
- A demonstrable interest in startups and climate change more broadly
- Experience of operational management involving multiple different partners
- Understanding of the needs of a startup at the early stages, and the benefits of effective business coaching and mentoring support activities
- A diplomatic, collaborative approach with effective interpersonal and relationship-building skills to engage and influence the multiple parties involved with the Greenhouse
- Exceptional organisational, financial, and project management skills
This role is full-time, fixed term to 31 December 2024. You will be based across South Kensington Campus and the Royal Institution.
If you are thinking about applying for this job and want to discuss it further please contact The Greenhouse Lead, Naveed Chaudhry, firstname.lastname@example.org
Want help submitting your application? Please visit the Grantham Institute’s Tips on how to submit a successful application.
Find out more about the Community and Culture at the Grantham Institute.
Should you have any queries about the application process, please contact Gosia Gayer, email@example.com.
Our commitment to Equality, Diversity and Inclusion
“Imperial College London is a place where talented people bring their best ideas and hard work to address many of the great challenges in the world. In order to be at the forefront of this effort, we must draw upon the talents of staff and students from all backgrounds and from all over the world. We are an inclusive workplace, seeking out the creative vigour of diversity by being open to all people, whatever their background, experience or identity. We are committed to equality of opportunity, to eliminating discrimination and to creating an inclusive working environment for all. We therefore encourage candidates to apply irrespective of age, disability, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion and belief, gender identity, sex, or sexual orientation. Please see our Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Strategy to find out how we are working to ensure that Imperial fulfils its mission to achieve enduring excellence in research and teaching for the benefit of society.” Alice Gast, President