An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Public Engagement with Research Manager to join our Wellcome Genome Campus Public Engagement team, playing a key role in advancing our ambitious plans for public engagement at our vibrant, multi-cultural and world-leading research Campus in South Cambridgeshire.
About the role
You will play a pivotal role in embedding engagement practice into the scientific pursuits of the Campus, and in particular the major scientific programmes of the Wellcome Sanger Institute. You will work as part of a wider effort to encourage public engagement and education to become an integral part of the working culture at the Campus, which is home also to the European Bioinformatics Institute and the Wellcome Genome Campus Biodata Innovation Centre.
You will work closely with the Head of Public Engagement to shape and develop sustainable public engagement within the Campus’ scientific programmes, identifying public stakeholder communities and shaping processes to bring their voices into the research journey. The role benefits from the capacity and expertise of a dedicated public engagement with research team, which you would manage, as well as expertise of the wider public engagement team and companion programmes across Connecting Science and wider Campus.
The scope of the role underpins key aspects of the public engagement culture change journey at the Campus, which was recognised in 2018 through a Silver Engage Watermark. Responsibilities within the Public Engagement with Research effort include the training, enabling and incentivising of staff, and encouraging the pursuit of deeper journeys of engagement with communities whose experiences, views and perspectives can help shape, influence or inform research practice and outcomes. You will play an important part in encouraging staff to take ownership of their engagement portfolio, and to reflect on the impact they can make, while ensuring monitoring and evaluation processes build effective stories of change.
An important aspect of the role will be to horizon scan for new opportunities, including those arising through national and international collaborations and/or grant making. The work of Connecting Science and the Campus institutes happens in a global context and as such, there will be opportunities to extend public engagement into other settings or make approaches available to scale, though collaborative working. This includes the scoping of innovative approaches to bring community voices into areas of Campus science and genomics and biodata more broadly, working with all parties and identifying partners to build strong foundations for new ideas. These could be aimed at outcomes around creating new understanding or mutual learning, trust and value between scientific and public communities – for example around emerging areas of genomics research and its application. Other examples might feature the development of novel formats that reach people who are otherwise unlikely to engage with Campus science, but whose perspectives and experiences are vital to broaden and enrich our engagement work.
As a senior member of the team, you will work closely and strategically with other colleagues across Public Engagement, Connecting Science and the institutes on Campus. Within PE, this will include our Education and Learning Manager, particularly where motivators for engagement and target audiences identify with an education setting. Cross-team working will also involve our Exhibition and Interpretation Coordinator ensuring activity developed with staff and community groups takes advantage of broader creative platforms around Campus experience, events and online engagement.
You will be encouraged to develop skills and networks through the role, and to achieve greater impact by working with partners appropriate to the advancement of particular projects.
About the team
Wellcome Genome Campus Public Engagement’s ambition is to build a world-leading engaged research campus by supporting and empowering the Wellcome Genome Campus community to develop relationships across a range of different audiences. We do this through a varied programme of support, mentoring and the creation of live and digital experiences.
Wellcome Genome Campus Public Engagement is part of Connecting Science.
This could be a development opportunity under the supervision of the Head of Public Engagement for candidates with a limited depth of experience than the role describes. Some modified criteria relevant to this is indicated below in ().
- Degree in a subject related to the work of Campus, for instance a STEM area, social science or other discipline that might also be linked to Public Engagement and/or equivalent experience
- Experience of research environments, including leading on support initiatives and/or change projects around engagement and impact in one or more institutional or strategic settings
- A sustained track record of enabling public engagement outputs and outcomes, which could involve a mix of approaches, methods and audiences and shows a commitment to diversity and inclusion, or (Experience of enabling public engagement outputs and outcomes, which could involve a mix of approaches, methods and audiences and shows a commitment to diversity and inclusion).
- Experience of evaluation and monitoring, preferably including logic modelling
- Demonstrable experience of mounting and/or supporting successful funding applications to research councils, charities and/or European funders either for standalone public engagement projects or embedded engagement programmes within research grants, or (Involvement or knowledge in the development or support of successful funding applications to research councils, charities and/or European funders either for standalone public engagement projects or embedded engagement programmes within research grants)
- Solid knowledge of UK and European research policies relating to the scope of this role, including frameworks and concordats in areas such as public engagement with research, responsible research and innovation, citizen science and career development or, (Familiarity of UK and European research policies relating to the scope of this role, including frameworks and concordats in areas such as public engagement with research, responsible research and innovation, citizen science and career development)
- Evidence of leadership qualities conducive to an effective cross-working environment involving many different people and projects and underpinned by empathy, respect and understanding for the experiences, views and perspectives of others or, (Experience of effective cross-team working involving different people and projects and underpinned by empathy, respect and understanding for the experiences, views and perspectives of others)
- Excellent prioritisation, organisational and planning skills
- Demonstrable communication skills, both verbal and written
- Self-motivated and punctual with regard to deadlines and milestones
- Familiarity of risk and contingency planning
Whilst the developments around COVID-19 continue to evolve, the Wellcome Genome Campus is closed for all but essential functions and facilities.
People remain at the centre of everything that we do and the majority of our staff are now working remotely to ensure continuity of operations, making use of remote communication and collaboration tools.
Interviews will be taking place virtually and the successful candidate should expect to be fully supported through remote on-boarding and working from home until the Campus re-opens to all staff. This approach may vary for individuals located overseas and/or where a visa is required and starting will be based on a number of factors, we will be able to provide specialist advice to those affected candidates.
Informal enquiries about this role can be made to email@example.com
Further information, full job description and to apply please visit; https://jobs.sanger.ac.uk/vacancy/public-engagement-with-research-manager-422364.html
- Salary Competitive
- Experience Level Manager