Be empowered to be innovative and creative where difference is valued
Join a place built on innovation and creativity. Where different views and perspectives are welcomed and valued. An environment that champions inclusion, and teams that reflect the diversity of the communities that we serve.
Who we are
A high performing team, we are united and motivated by our shared purpose – to deliver life-changing medicines. We come to work each day to make a difference – to patients, society and our company.
How we do it
A place of ownership, each of us is empowered to lead at every level. Backed with great tools, resources and investment. We get things done!
Why we love it
With our ground-breaking pipeline comes a forward-thinking future – a secure job, exciting opportunities and varied work. We’re on an exciting journey to pioneer the future of healthcare.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
The Publications Lead (Director of Scientific Publications), Early Respiratory & Immunology has direct accountability for the development and execution of strategic publication plans for drug projects entering and already in the early clinical phase (pre-clinical, translational, and up to phase IIb). As part of this role, the Publications Lead must have a strategic approach as well as scientific curiosity in order to engage and collaborate with internal colleagues and external professionals, scientists, investigators, journals, conference organizers and external bodies to deliver proactive publication and communication activities.
The role also collaborates and leads alignment across multiple functions in the business to deliver standard methodology training, drive innovation, and ensure the accuracy of metrics. Publications Lead is also further responsible for ensuring ethical compliance with AstraZeneca policy and external publication guidelines of the publications plans and deliverables, and they ensure that all publications represent transparent and fairly balanced communications that enhance the Company’s external scientific reputation.
- Design and facilitate project strategic workshops to ensure scientific stories and lexicons are aligned with both product and therapy area strategy through liaison with the cross-functional team and the therapy area leadership
- Lead the translation of scientific and early clinical data into appropriate and timely publications for scientists, healthcare professionals, and patients while ensuring that transparency requirements are met
- Lead a cross-functional publications team and serve as key internal and external point of contact regarding publication program status, ensuring proactive communication with key internal partners, external scientists and investigators, and alliance partners
- Lead day-to-day management of assigned multiple publication plans, including budgeting and tracking, working closely with all members of key cross-functional product teams
- Collaborate effectively with high-level publications representatives in other therapy areas to lead agreement on guidelines, vision, and processes
- Provide publications and internal communications expertise, including the provision of training on standard methodologies and the creation of new processes when required
- Manage the output, compliance and budget as per contract terms for vendor medical communication agencies responsible for key publication plan deliverables
- Keep up to date on external environment, with respect to the scientific literature, as well as publishing trends with all external codes and ethical standards in scientific and medical publishing
- Demonstrated experience in medical communications gained through working in the pharmaceutical industry or a medical communications agency
- Bachelor’s degree in the biological or health sciences
- Familiarity with the drug development process, Good Publications Practice, ICMJE recommendations, and the peer-reviewed publication process
- Demonstrated publications budget and vendor experience
- Excellent leadership and project management skills to deliver multiple parallel projects in a complex multidisciplinary environment
- Ability to establish and maintain professional relationships with senior partners, external specialists, scientists, investigators, journal editors and publishers and professional bodies
- Flexibility and adaptability to independently manage long-term activities in a constantly changing internal and external environment
- Post-doctoral degree in the biological or health sciences, or equivalent experience
- Curiosity and ability to seek new understanding in scientific data and methodological innovations
- Experience of working globally, cross-culturally and cross-functionally
- CMPP certification
So, what’s next?
Are you already imagining yourself joining us? Good, because we can’t wait to hear from you!
Advertising opens on 13th August 2021 and we welcome with your application; CV and cover letter, no later than 27th August 2021
For more information please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Our Company Values & Behaviors underpin everything we do so please take a moment to familiarize yourself with them. You may also want to check out our new R&D Video showing how we turn Science into Medicines. Covid-19 Resources
More information about our sites:
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
- Salary £30000 - £31000