Applications are invited for a Research Associate to study experimentally smouldering Artic fires and join Imperial Hazelab which is the multidisciplinary research group led by Prof. Guillermo Rein based the Department of Mechanical Engineering at Imperial College London. The purpose of Hazelab is to reduce the worldwide burden of accidental fires and protect people, their property, and the environment.
The project, named FireFrost, is part of the newly launched Leverhulme Centre for Wildfires, Environment and Society held jointly between Imperial College London and King’s College London along with other UK universities.
Duties and responsibilities
As a Research Associate on this project, you will:
- be expected to identify and develop suitable techniques, and apparatus, to study artic fires of the soil with an emphasis on smouldering combustion, and analyse the mechanisms for fire spread.
- assist in the analysis of the data and ensure its validity and reliability.
- assist with writing reports for the research sponsors as well as publication writing and conference presentations.
- be expected to provide guidance to PhD students, conduct and plan own scientific work under appropriate supervision, and actively participate in the research programme of the group.
- actively contribute to group research meetings and contribute to the smooth running of the group’s laboratories.
In order to be considered for this position, you must:
- Have, or be close to completing, a PhD in Engineering, Physics or Chemistry, and a first degree (or equivalent) in Engineering or Science.
- Be knowledgeable of experimental techniques and heat transfer.
- Have advanced experimental skills and a good understanding of laboratory safety
- Experience with fire science, wildfires and smouldering combustion would be considered an advantage.
This is a fixed term position for up to 15 months in the first instance.
Candidates who have not yet been officially awarded their PhD will be appointed as a Research Assistant within the salary range £36,645 – £39,888 per annum.
Our preferred method of application is via our website. Please visit our website using the provided link for more information about the post and the application process.
Committed to equality and valuing diversity, we are an Athena SWAN Silver Award winner, a Stonewall Diversity Champion, a Disability Confident Employer and work in partnership with GIRES to promote respect for trans people.
The College is a proud signatory to the San-Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment (DORA), which means that in hiring and promotion decisions, we evaluate applicants on the quality of their work, not the journal impact factor where it is published. For more information, see https://www.imperial.ac.uk/research-and-innovation/about-imperial-research/research-evaluation/
- Salary £38194 - £50834
- Salary Per annum