Salary: £36,694 – £49,210 plus benefits
The Metal Forming and Modelling group wishes to appoint a Research Associate to conduct fundamental research on metal forming at Imperial College London. Our research group covers a wide range of activities in theoretical, experimental and computational solid mechanics and materials research. We have significant contribution in the development of new forming technologies and novel modelling methods, pioneered by Professor Jianguo Lin FREng.
Leading this group is Dr Liliang Wang. The Metal Forming research area addresses the development of advanced metal forming processes to manufacture light weight structural components with complex shapes and high strength. The Modelling research area addresses fundamental problems involving the evolution of defects, damage and microstructure, and their effects on material deformation behaviour for a wide range of applications, many of relevance to metal forming industries.
Duties and responsibilities
You will be doing fundamental research on (one of) the following research topics depending on your experience and skills:
- Viscoplastic theories and modelling
- Damage mechanics and modelling
- Precipitation hardening theories and modelling
- Interactive friction theories and modelling
- Interfacial heat transfer theories and modelling
- Springback modelling and prediction
You will develop functional modules and portfolios.
You will be required to provide training to colleagues and students within the research group as necessary.
To be considered for this role you must:
- have a good undergraduate or master’s degree. For appointment at Research Associate level you must also hold a PhD in a relevant area (e.g. Metal forming or Mechanical engineering) or demonstrate that you have equivalent experience.
- have practical experience of metal forming and cloud based multi-objective FEA of metal forming processes.
- have knowledge in developing functional modules/portfolios on SmartForming.
This is a fixed term position for up to 12 months in the first instance.
How To Apply
Our preferred method of application is via our website. Please visit our website using the provided link for more information about the post and the application process.