Salary: £36,045 – £48,340 per annum. Candidates who have not yet been officially awarded their PhD will be appointed as a Research Assistant within the salary range £36,045 – £39,183 per annum.
This is a fixed term position up to the 31st December 2022 in the first instance.
The Nuclear Engineering Group is looking to hire a Researcher in the area of nuclear reactor thermal hydraulic analysis using computational fluid dynamics. Funded by the EPSRC, this activity will support several collaborative projects underway, in particular the use of CFD in a major programme of HTGR accident studies.
The HTGR studies are part of a joint programme with Purdue University and other US collaborators. Large-scale experiments into the response of an HTGR to major depressurisation faults are being devised by the consortium and will be conducted at Purdue. The focus of the computational modelling of these will be at Imperial and it is likely that some travel to the US will be required.
Our research group comprises around 20 PhD’s and postdoctoral research associates, engaged in research into reactor physics and shielding, reactor studies, thermal hydraulics and nuclear safety.
Duties and Responsibilities
- The majority of your time will be spent conducting research into modelling the phenomena that govern behaviour in a HGTR system following major primary circuit breaches.
- You will also be expected to contribute, as senior members of the group, to the initiation, supervision, management and administration of other research in the group.
- You will be key in building and developing of interactions with researchers in other universities and research institutes.
Skills, knowledge and experience
- You should have, or be close to completing a PhD in a relevant subject area
- Experience in the development and application of CFD methods to nuclear engineering is essential.
- Your experience and expertise should be evidenced by a strong publication record.
How To Apply
Our preferred method of application is via our website. Please visit our website using the provided link for more information about the post and the application process.