Do you want to be at the forefront of the next industrial revolution? The Mechanics of Materials Research Division has an opportunity for you to develop additive manufacturing (AM) technology for real-world engineering applications and push the frontiers of smart digital manufacturing and industry 4.0.
Our funding comes from the defence industry to develop and validate methods to qualify metal AM parts for safety-critical, high consequence of failure applications. The project will use in-situ monitoring tools to observe the metal laser powder bed fusion build process and discover relationships with conventional post-manufacture inspection data. The overall aim is to validate material quality on-the-fly and move towards a qualify as you build paradigm.
AM is changing how products are designed and made, enabling better performing and more efficient products with reduced manufacturing waste, lower cost and shorter lead times. It is a key emerging technology in many sectors, from aerospace to medical, and will increasingly provide benefits to the economy, environment, and wider society.
We are looking to hire a researcher with a background in Mechanical Engineering, Computer Science, Statistics, Physics, Materials or Manufacturing to join our multidisciplinary team. The main question that we are seeking to answer is “can in-situ monitoring technology reduce post-manufacture inspection requirements and accelerate the qualification of AM components?”.
Duties and responsibilities
- You will be developing and validating tools to qualify additive manufacturing parts. This will require the use of laser powder bed fusion machinery, bespoke in-situ monitoring equipment and material/mechanical characterisation equipment.
- You will be processing large data sets to elucidate trends, developing methods to detect problems in the manufacturing process and critically evaluating those methods to insure they are robust enough for application “on the shop floor”.
- You should have (or be close to completing) a PhD in a relevant area or have equivalent experience.
- You should be skilled with data analysis of large data volumes in Python or MATLAB.
- Experience of image processing, statistical methods and machine learning methods is highly desirable.
- Knowledge of Additive Manufacturing, Non-Destructive Evaluation (NDE) methods and Structural Integrity is highly desirable.
- Experience with a range of techniques, including LPBF machinery, X-ray CT scanning, high-speed and infra-red cameras would be advantageous.
This is a fixed term position for up to 12 months.
Our preferred method of application is via our website. Please visit our website using the provided link for more information about the post and the application process.
The College is a proud signatory to the San-Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment (DORA), which means that in hiring and promotion decisions, we evaluate applicants on the quality of their work, not the journal impact factor where it is published. For more information, see https://www.imperial.ac.uk/research-and-innovation/about-imperial-research/research-evaluation/
The College believes that the use of animals in research is vital to improve human and animal health and welfare. Animals may only be used in research programmes which are ultimately aimed towards finding new treatments and making scientific and medical advances, and where there are no satisfactory or reasonably practical alternatives to their use. Imperial is committed to ensuring that, in cases where this research is deemed essential, all animals in the College’s care are treated with full respect, and that all staff involved with this work show due consideration at every level. http://www.imperial.ac.uk/research-and-innovation/about-imperial-research/research-integrity/animal-research/
We are committed to equality of opportunity, to eliminating discrimination and to creating an inclusive working environment for all. We therefore encourage candidates to apply irrespective of age, disability, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion and belief, gender identity, sex, or sexual orientation. We are an Athena SWAN Silver Award winner, a Disability Confident Leader and a Stonewall Diversity Champion.