Opportunity: Scientific Communication and Engagement Lead
Based in: Cambridge (UK) or Gaithersburg (US)
Salary: Competitive, with excellent benefits
AstraZeneca is a global, creative, biopharmaceutical business that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialisation of prescription medicines for some of the most serious diseases. But we’re more than one of the world’s leading pharmaceutical companies. At AZ, we’re proud to have an exceptional workplace culture that encourages innovation and collaboration. Here, employees are empowered to express different perspectives – and are made to feel valued, energised and rewarded for their ideas and creativity.
As the Scientific Communication & Engagement Lead within Late Respiratory & Immunology (Late R&I), you will be responsible for developing and executing an integrated communications strategy for Late R&I, a global multi-site function of over 600 people (and growing).
You will work closely with the Late R&I Leadership Team (LT) and colleagues across the organization to craft and deliver an internal communication agenda that ensures relevant audiences engage with content as intended. You will partner with Corporate Affairs and Talent Acquisition to craft external science communications to enhance the external reputation of the Therapy Area / Function and demonstrate our attractiveness as an employer.
In this role, you have an excellent opportunity to enhance a knowledge network which exists to improve outcomes for patients worldwide.
- Working closely with key partners across AstraZeneca, define and implement the internal communication and engagement strategy for Late R&I
- Build and develop a team to deliver the Late R&I communications strategy
- Work directly with the Late R&I Senior Vice President (SVP) and the core leadership team to define the strategic focus and develop content for internal and high-profile external engagements (e.g. external investigator scientific presentations and Late R&I Town Hall meetings)
- Act as strategic communications advisor the SVP and LT members
- Lead the planning, communication asset creation and implementation to support key strategic needs for functional scientific and great place to work strategy, including video scripting, filming and editing, scientific copy writing, event planning and delivery, commissioning of scientific imagery, design work and other specialist services
- Lead the strategy for improving engagement of Late R&I leaders internally and externally including provision of mentor and training programmes
- Overall accountability for the delivery of high quality and engaging events and broadcasts (e.g. Town Halls) to bring the Late R&I story to life
- Lead initiatives and matrixed teams to enhance the Late R&I culture
- Accountability for the delivery of key business reports and Late R&I inputs into Corporate Affairs, Global Medical Affairs and the BioPharmaceuticals Business Unit
- Build and execute an engaging internal editorial calendar to raise the visibility of Late R&I achievements across AstraZeneca (e.g. contribution to portfolio milestones, scientific publications and technology innovation) and to communicate our scorecard using a range of platforms including internal social media
- Partner with R&D Corporate Affairs and Talent Acquisition to craft external communications to increase the external scientific and great place to work reputation of Late R&I
- Support the IT strategy for use of specific collaboration mechanisms, such as Microsoft Teams and SharePoint Online
- PhD or MSc in Life science
- Scientific in-depth knowledge in late-stage clinical development, respiratory, immunology or related areas
- Proven track record in a communication role as evidenced by professional accreditation
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
- Ability to clearly articulate sophisticated scientific data into effective and compelling communication that is appropriate for the level of audience
- Broad knowledge of the drug discovery and development process
- Strong influencing, networking and team working skills
- Prior experience in a strategic communications role is strongly desired
Interested? Please make your application before 11th October 2021!
- Salary £65000 - £66000
- Salary Per annum