Who we are
Astex Pharmaceuticals is a world leader in innovative drug discovery and development. The company has successfully applied its proprietary fragment-based drug discovery (FBDD) platform to generate multiple new drug candidates that are progressing in clinical development. Successful collaborations have led to two launched oncology drugs (Kisqali® partnered with Novartis and Balversa® partnered with Janssen). Astex continues to grow and focuses on Oncology and Neurological Disorders.
An excellent opportunity exists for an experienced in-vivo biologist within the Translational Biology (pre-clinical) group of Astex, based in Cambridge, UK. The role will offer the individual the opportunity to apply their in-depth expertise and knowledge of in vivo biology systems, disease models and in vitro techniques to impact on Astex’s portfolio. The successful candidate will be highly motivated with the capacity to think creatively and a demonstrable ability to interact with and influence the strategy of multi-disciplinary project teams at the scientific level and thus contribute to the successful development of novel therapies.
- Contribute to and influence drug discovery projects and the in vivo strategies across Astex’s drug discovery portfolio.
- Provide scientific expertise and leadership of in vivo activities and experience of in vitro
- Design, run and document experiments, interpret data, discuss conclusions and present at various internal and external forums.
- Develop a detailed understanding of the literature related Astex projects and influence the direction of the biological aspects of the projects, by actively participating in project team discussions.
- Interact with external experts, collaborators and CROs to progress Astex discovery projects.
- PhD in a biological science with extensive postdoctoral experience in a drug discovery environment, preferably gained in industry.
- Proven in vivo biology experience with suitable qualifications (UK Home Office Licence or equivalent).
- Experience in models of oncology and/or CNS disease.
- Demonstrable proficiency in a range of cell biology techniques.
- Strong communication skills and ability to contribute to multidisciplinary project teams.
- Disease expertise in oncology is essential as is a working knowledge of drug discovery.
- Experience working with external partners to support projects.
- Knowledge of bioinformatics and experience of working with bioinformaticians.
- Experience communicating with compliance teams.
We offer excellent training and career development opportunities as well as highly competitive salary and benefits package. The company is situated 2.5 miles from Cambridge City centre. Cambridge Science Park has onsite sports facilities and excellent transport links to London.
At Astex we embrace diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse Company representing all backgrounds, harnessing industry-leading scientific innovation and behaviours.
- Salary £competitive - £